Keeping you informed
Newsletter April 2020
Let’s have some fun!
Enter our FREE competition to win
Send us a pic of your pet ‘Working from Home’ to be in the running to win great prizes!
- Major prize – Pet hamper valued at $150
- Minor prizes – 10 packets of Fit N Flash pet treats – yum!
- Add a picture of your pet to our Facebook page
- Winners will be contacted by e-news – you need to be a subscriber to win. If you’re not subscribed yet, join here
- New subscribers are welcome to enter, so feel free to forward to friends – there IS such a thing as a free lunch.
- Winners drawn May 1st
Is now the time to add a puppy to your family?
Puppy Corner with Katie
If you’re spending more time at home at the moment, you may be one of the many families considering choosing a new puppy. Provided it is not an impulse buy, it is a great time for a new puppy because you can give them all the time and attention they deserve! Here are our top hints and tricks for raising the perfect pooch:
- Pick a breed that will fit your family and lifestyle. Dogs NSW has a great list
- Get your whole family involved
- Encourage a routine for eating, sleeping and playtime
- Attend a puppy school. While it is not possible to gather in groups with owners at the moment, Puppy School with nurse Katie is being held online via live sessions so you can still get all the best information.
- Puppy playtime is now being held under supervision at Turramurra Veterinary Hospital to assist socialisation.
- Vaccination, health checks, tick, flea and worming prevention. More advice available here.
- Introduce your puppy early to things like nail trimming, tooth brushing and grooming.
If you have any questions about your new puppy, or you are thinking of adding one to your family, don’t hesitate to call our team for any advice you need or head to our website.
Turramurra Vet, making your life easier
Access Turramurra Vet’s online shop which has a select range of our recommended tick preventatives, wormers and treats, and is now live. Delivery is free for orders over $49. We will add more products over coming months.
Click here for Medication and food reorders.
You can request a rescript of your pet’s long term medications and food too. Delivery is free for orders over $49 – this even includes the 12kg bags of Hills Science Diet food!
We ship these directly to you so you don’t need to leave home. Our vets need to review medication requests in line with our policy.
If your pet needs a checkup prior to dispensing medication we will call you to discuss, or arrange a check.
Uh oh – here comes trouble! We love the time of the Easter bunny, but at that time comes the potential threat of chocolate toxicity, so we need to take care and keep chocolate out of reach. Chocolate contains a compound, theobromine, which is related to caffeine, that dogs are hypersensitive to. Only a small amount of chocolate can be lethal. If your dog gorges on the Easter egg stash, seek urgent veterinary attention. Our chocolate toxicity calculator may help.
So please no chocolate for dogs and certainly no espresso puppychinos with real coffee – even for Bondi hipsters!
We are open all Easter long weekend
To improve our service to you we will be opening longer hours of 9.00am-4.00pm on Sundays and Public Holidays including Easter and Anzac Day.
Please note that a Sunday and Public Holiday surcharge of $29 applies, to help cover government mandated Award penalty pay rates for our staff. This is still less than the alternative of emergency consultations at corporate owned specialist or emergency veterinary hospitals. We thank you for your understanding and we hope that we can provide assistance when it is needed most.
(This will be reviewed during the course of, and after the Covid-19 pandemic, depending on demand)
We’re working from home too (sometimes)
Kelly the cat, CFO of Turramurra Veterinary Hospital (Chief Furry Officer) working from home with assistance from Dr Jim, who is available for consultations still, some Fridays and Saturdays, as part of one of two independent teams, allowing us to continue our service to you safely.
From our family to yours we hope you all stay well & safe.