Tick paralysis is an EMERGENCY
Ticks and Tick Paralysis
The Australian Paralysis Tick is one of the deadliest parasites in the world. Ticks attach to animals (and people) to suck blood and secrete a paralysing toxin which causes signs such as breathing difficulties, coughing, vomiting, wobbly legs and collapse. If untreated this will lead to death from heart or respiratory failure.
If you notice any of these signs, phone Turramurra Vet on 9988 0198 – prompt treatment could save your pet’s life.
Never solely rely on a product to protect your pet.
Turramurra Vet Hospital
Australian paralysis ticks are far more toxic than ticks in the UK, South Africa or the United States. If you are new to the North Shore we will happily provide you with the most appropriate tick prevention for your pets. We cannot emphasise this strongly enough.
While there are excellent tick and flea prevention products on the market it is impossible to keep your pet 100% free from ticks with products alone. Protecting your pet is dependent on applying the correct dose of preventative. We strongly advise you to bring your pet in for free weighing to ensure that the correct dose is being applied.
Tick Prevention Tips
Simple measures can reduce the risk of tick paralysis:
- search your pets all over daily for ticks;
- especially focus on the neck, head and ears;
- remove ticks immediately using Tick Twisters (available from Turramurra Vet);
- regularly apply tick preventatives;
- clip your pet’s coat short if it is a long-haired species;
- phone Turramurra Vet immediately on 9988 0198 if you observe signs of tick paralysis – poor appetite, vomiting, coughing, weakness or collapse;
Turramurra Vet Hospital offers a professional tick clipping service. Clipping the coat of long-haired dogs or cats makes ticks easier to identify and remove. Phone us on 9988 0198 to make a booking.